Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Summer Carnival

With majestic spikes of colorful blooms from mid summer to fall, hollyhocks have long been one of my garden favorites. These are some of the beauties I grew in my 2003 garden in Wenatchee, WA.With full double flowers in shades of deep crimson, rose, light pink, yellow, apricot and white, the Summer Carnival Mix (Malvaceae Alcea rosa) made the All-American Selections (AAS) list in 1972. A biennial, I have one dozen of these beauties started for my garden this season.The Summer Carnival variety promises to flower within four months of planting, so hopefully we will see some flowers this season. I think I'll plant six of these hollyhocks where my sunflowers were last year, and the other six along one of the fence lines of my new garden space.
And won't they be absolutely lovely there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!