Sunday, March 16, 2008

My Design on a Dime - Part II - Finished!

My updated rojo eight-box apple crate wall unit with its bright, fresh new look and back in use in my home.
~~~~~

~~~~~
And my other, four-box rojo apple crate wall unit finished and back in use too.
~~~~~


~~~~~

Here the freshly painted apple crate wall unit is completely finished and placed back in its original location, ready to be filled with books and treasures, its new look created with a mis-mixed paint find and inspired by an expensive rojo cabinet seen in last winter's Crate and Barrel catalog.

~~~~~


~~~~~

Day One - spent painting all the boxes with a first coat in a warm shade of red.
~~~~~


~~~~~

All boxes are painted and set aside to dry overnight.

~~~~~


~~~~~

Day Two - I apply the second coat to all the boxes. The pink hue of the wet paint would scare me a little if I didn't already know that the paint will end up a deep warm red once it has dried.

~~~~~

~~~~~

Opting for two coats of paint so a hint of woodgrain and original markings on the apple boxes still shows through, applying the second coat went on a lot faster than the first. Once that second coat of paint had been applied, the boxes were lined up once again to dry for yet another night.

~~~~~


~~~~~

How in the world did I get paint on my foot? Gross! Now I need a pedicure! Thank goodness I at least had enough sense to spread a plastic paint cloth on the floor before I started this project, saving me from ending up on my hands and knees with a scrub brush just to clean up my mess once this little DIY project was finished!

~~~~~


~~~~~

Day Three - Once dry, the apple boxes are ready to stack back together and turned into shelving units in my living room! This eight-box unit goes between my couch and the open bar to the kitchen as a backdrop for my dining area, and the other unit configured for the other side of the couch.

~~~~~


~~~~~

One apple box, a slightly different in size than the others, holds an assortment of videos and DVD movies, adding just a little more color to the other corner of my room as it slides into the vintage record cabinet that serves as my entertainment center.

~~~~~


~~~~~

I like the bright punch of color this project has added to my room.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!