Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day Celebrations

Somewhat hard to believe that it is May 1st when I look at these photos my daughter, Jeni, sent me this morning from Denver. May Day in Denver, and the snow is falling!

In contrast, Bellingham's live webcam views this morning show hints of brighter skies for our May Day celebrations.

(Clicking on the above photo will take you to a website showing several live webcams in Bellingham area.)

~~~~~

May Day

A delicate fabric of bird song

Floats in the air,

The smell of wet wild earth

Is everywhere.

Oh I must pass nothing by

Without loving it much,

The raindrop try with my lips,

The grass with my touch;

For how can I be sure

I shall see again

The world on the first of May

Shining after the rain?

- by Sara Teasdale

~~~~~

~~~~~

Song on a May Morning

Now the bright morning-star, Day's harbinger,
Comes dancing from the East, and leads with her
The flowery May, who from her green lap throws
The yellow cowslip and the pale primrose.
Hail, bounteous May, that dost inspire
Mirth, and youth, and warm desire!
Woods and groves are thy dressing;
Hill and dale doth boast thy blessing.
Thus we salute thee with our early song,
And welcome thee, and wish thee long.
By John Milton

~~~~~


Denver, fear not, your snows will not last long for your weather forecast shows the promise of warm, clear skies with temperatures in the high sixties within just a few days!
~~~~~

#1333

A little madness in the Spring
is wholesome even for the King.
by Emily Dickinson
~~~~~
~~~~~
May Day

I've decided to waste my life again,

Like I used to: get drunk on

The light in the leaves, find a wall

Against which something can happen,


Whatever may have happened

Long ago—let a bullet hole echoing

The will of an executioner, a crevice

In which a love note was hidden,


Be a cell where a struggling tendril

Utters a few spare syllables at dawn.

I've decided to waste my life

In a new way, to forget whoever


Touched a hair on my head, because

It doesn't matter what came to pass,

Only that it passed, because we repeat

Ourselves, we repeat ourselves.


I've decided to walk a long way

Out of the way, to allow something

Dreaded to waken for no good reason,

Let it go without saying,


Let it go as it will to the place

It will go without saying: a wall

Against which a body was pressed

For no good reason, other than this.

by Phillis Levin

~~~~~

Happy May Day to all!

~~~~~
Information on the history and traditions of May Day is available on the Wikipedia website at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Day.
~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!