Saturday, August 16, 2008

Addicted to Fruit Floes

As he bagged my grocery selections this morning while I wrote out my check, the young clerk at Trader Joe's smiled and asked if I ever thought that I might be supporting a Fruit Floes addiction. I had to laugh as I considered his question for a moment, and confessed, "Yes, I guess I am."
As I drove home, I found myself wishing that I had not placed that shopping bag on the back seat. My car was hot inside. At 232,665 miles on an old Volvo, it is not surprising that the air conditioner no longer keeps up with the heat on days like today. I could see the Fruit Floes in my rear-view mirror - sticking out from the top of the bag. They looked so refreshing. I really wanted one - needed one!The Caribbean Fruit Floes are my favorite. It's the coconut flakes that make them special to me. Combine that with strawberries, pineapple, mango and passion fruit, make it fat free and frozen, how can it not be refreshing on a near-record-setting heat kind of day? Okay, maybe I am addicted.Thankfully, they really are not that bad nutritionally. With only 80 calories each, they have only 9 grams of fat, 5 mg of sodium, and a total carbohydrate count of 21g (21g sugars), they also contain 20% of our daily requirement of Vitamin C. While I tend to eat a healthy, low calorie, low carbohydrate and low sodium diet, I can still feel good about eating Fruit Floes to help me stay cool during the hot summer days.
~~~~~
As far as the addiction, I feel the problem will naturally resolve itself - cold turkey - once this heat wave subsides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!