Monday, August 11, 2008

CSA - Week 9 - Mid-Summer Harvest

A different design in the basket did not stifle my delight in discovering the different vegetables that were stowed away in my CSA harvest share this week. BioBags full of vegetables had been placed on top, concealing most of the contents until I could get home and look inside.
This week, more summer squash - zucchini and pattypan.

Strawberries - what a treat in August!

Juicy, ripe red tomatoes.

Carrots and broccoli.

Garlic. An assortment of onions.More red potatoes.
My first green beans this summer!

And a delicious mix of lots of different tender, tasty salad greens - sprinkled throughout with delicate, edible flower petals.Vegetables are so deliciously tender when they are fresh like this, so I cooked some for my dinner tonight. First, I crushed and sauteed a clove of garlic in a small amount of olive oil, just until its aroma released. Then I added a sliced onion, zucchini, pattypan squash and a handful of the green beans. They sizzled and cooked until they were tender and browned perfectly.
Remembering one of my dad's favorite dishes with zucchini, I whipped up an egg and scrambled it in the middle.
From the farm to the market to my kitchen in one afternoon, it just doesn't get much fresher. What a treat it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!