If the animal appears injured or stranded, or to report incidents of harassment, please contact the NOAA hotline through the Northwest Marine Mammal Stranding Network at 800-853-1964, or in Whatcom County, call WMMSN directly at 360-966-8845. The Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network is an organization of volunteers that are dedicated to the care of distressed or deceased marine mammals. Under an authority granted by NOAA, the WMMSN does the following:
- Responds to reports of stranded, distressed or deceased marine mammals.
- Assesses the condition of stranded marine mammals and determine how best to help them.
- Prevents human contact and interference with stranded marine mammals.
- In some cases, careful and safe removal of deceased marine mammals.
- Determines if stranded or deceased marine mammals pose a biological threat to humans or other marine life.
- Educates the public about local marine mammals and how best to cohabitate with them.