Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blueberries and Rhubarb

What once was filled with squash in my Happy Valley Community Garden now grows blueberries and rhubarb. I had not given much thought about what to do with that space since pulling out the squash plants, but suddenly a plan came together. The daughter of a friend of a friend was taking out the garden in their newly purchased home in Bow and I had been invited to dig what I wanted. The first day of fall and such beautiful weather, it was the perfect day for a drive through rural Skagit County as I headed to Bow. I couldn't help but notice how the sky was so much more blue than this barn. I dug a variety of perrenial flowers to transplant into my cutting garden at the Happy Valley Gardens, then saw the rhubarb and instantly began to think about all those crisps, pies and cobblers I could make if I took some rhubarb starts too.
When I spotted the two blueberry bushes, I knew they would be great additions to my garden. They were still small plants, but their tags indicated they would grow to be 5 to 6 feet high and quite round. I immediately thought about that space where I had just removed all those squash plants and decided that would be the perfect space for them. They were each a different variety of blueberry, but I didn't think that would make any difference (at least I hoped it wouldn't). The tag on one said they were bigger and rounder and juicier than most, and the other indicated it would be a big producer. Blueberries are one of my favorite summer fruits. It will be so cool to pick blueberries that I have grown myself.
Once I determined where my new plants should be placed in my garden and had finished planting them, I gave them all a good watering. Then, picking raspberries and a few peas from my garden for my dinner, I reflected on my afternoon of gardening efforts, knowing that I was already looking forwad to the next season.
Reminded that it really was the first day of fall, a big pile of pumpkins greated me as I stopped at my favorite vegetable stand, Joe's, to pick up some tomatoes on my way home. More pics from my drive through rural Skagit County to get my new plants and my Happy Valley Garden.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!