Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Pretty Pink-Tipped Sea Anemone

Here's a photo of a sea anemone I saw in a tidepool on a rainy beach while out on a call about a harbor seal for the Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network (WMMSN).First said to be at Marine Park, that's where I started my search for the seal. Turned out though, I really needed to be on a beach south of Post Point. But, before my hike down the railroad tracks to gain access to the trail that would take me to that beach, I was delighted to spot this pink-tipped sea anemone. Surrounded by sea cauliflower, it was showing itself off so pretty in the little stream that was running out of the Post Point Lagoon.
~~~
Even though it was a drizzly afternoon, it really was quite pleasant to be out on the trails and on the beach. Here are more of the photos I took while there.

~~~
Unfortunately, the harbor seal had been injured (a boat strike) and was dead. I won't be posting those photos here, but contact me if you would like to learn more about that seal. For now, the photos have been sent in with the appropriate paperwork for entry into a national database for NOAA. Maybe they'll be included in some sort of report some day.
~~~
For more information about the WMMSN, visit our Facebook page at - Whatcom-Marine-Mammal-Stranding-Network-Facebook. Or visit our website at - http://www.wmmsn.org/. We also have a blog now too. Our blog includes a summary of our activities from this last summer. You can find the WMMSN blog here - http://wmmsn.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!