Good news, for this month's Seed Grow Project update, I can happily report that my Spitfires are up! There really was a lot of gardening work that needed to be done before these nasturtiums could get to this point. First, I had to put in a new garden - and that was no tiny task. Clearing weeds, grass and sod from the additional double plots I was allocated at the Happy Valley Community Gardens, I built another garden, Garden Nbr. 02. Rescuing lumber from a construction site dumpster, I made raised beds and hauled in soil. That, along with tending my Garden Nbr. 01, seemed to keep me rather busy all Spring. At times, it almost felt as if I'd never get to the point where I could actually start planting in this new garden - but finally I did. Now, Garden Nbr. 02 is starting to look like a real garden and all those seeds and little plants that were so carefully planted are starting to grow.
Having reserved the center most bed of my new garden for flowers, on May 10th, I planted my Spitfire Nasturtiums for this year's Seed GROW Project.
With volumes of giant, multi-colored sweet peas in the center of that bed, these colorful nasturtiums were planted around their perimeter.
With a trellis made from the wispy tops cut from bamboo poles and wrapped with twine, these Spitfires will be a welcome site upon entering this garden.
"I'm growing Nasturtium "Spitfire" for the GROW project. Thanks, to Renee's Garden for the seeds."