Monday, June 30, 2008

CSA - Week 3 - The Last of the Scapes

I probably eat more vegetables than the average girl! In fact, I love vegetables! I love how fresh they are each week as I take them out my CSA harvest basket. I love that crisp, juicy flavor vegetables have when they have been chilled. I love how naturally sweet vegetables taste. I love how healthy the organic vegetables are for me.
~~~~~
My CSA basket this week.
Beet greens.
Green onions.
A giant head of red leaf lettuce.
The first carrots of the season.
More sweet strawberries this week too.
My first sugar snap peas this year.
Even cauliflower!
My farmer shared with me that this was the last week for the garlic scapes this season. That means, though, that it really will not be much longer before cloves of fresh garlic will begin showing up in my weekly harvest baskets. I cook with lots of fresh garlic, so will certainly look forward to that! The garlic scape pesto that I made last week was so very good so I shall make one more batch of that pesto so I can savor the tender garlic flavor of those scapes once again!

I always find it a fun challenge to create a new recipe or two each week with my assortment of fresh vegetables. In addition to making my garlic pesto, this week for a real treat, I shall make my sugar snap pea and potato salad. It is a very pretty potato salad and easy to fix. With a combination of sugar snap peas and red potatoes, it has an almost melt-in-your mouth flavor and is a very refreshing treat to enjoy on a hot summer day. Here is my recipe:

Sugar Snap Pea and Potato Salad

  • 4 - 6 Medium red potatoes
  • 2 Cups fresh sugar snap peas
  • 1/3 Cup finely chopped green onions
  • 1/2 Cup fat free mayonnaise salad dressing
  • 1/4 Cup fat free sour cream
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 tablespoons mustard

Cook the potatoes about 12 minutes in boiling water until tender. Rinse with cold water, drain and allow to cool. Then cut the potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Place them in a large bowl. Blanch sugar snap peas in boiling water. Drain and put them in a bowl of cold water. Drain again and add them to the potatoes. Chop the onion and add it to the bowl with the sugar snap peas and potatoes.

For the dressing, mince the garlic and place in a separate, smaller bowl. Add the mustard and mayonnaise to the garlic and stir to blend. Pour the dressing over the potatoes, sugar snap peas and onion mixture. Toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled. Makes 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts - Amount Per Serving*

Calories: 254.3
Total Fat: 1.2 g
Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2 g
Cholesterol: 2.1 mg
Sodium: 261.7 mg

Potassium: 1,198.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 54.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.8 g
Sugars: 6.1 g
Protein: 8.1 g
Vitamin A: 8.1 %
Vitamin B-6: 41.7 %
Vitamin C: 115.0 %
Vitamin E: 5.3 %
Calcium: 5.2 %
Copper: 18.5 %
Folate: 18.5 %
Iron: 15.7 %
Magnesium: 19.2 %
Manganese: 31.2 %
Niacin: 18.3 %
Pantothenic
Acid: 8.2 %
Phosphorus: 21.0 %
Riboflavin: 8.7 %
Selenium: 6.4 %
Thiamin: 22.4 %
Zinc: 9.3 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie
diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

~~~~~

Yum, an absolute perfect summer salad! And just look at all those vitamins and minerals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!