Saturday, March 14, 2009

Crescents

These are even better than the ones I bought in those charming bakeries in Paris! The recipe is not my original, but it is an easy one and I didn't even feel the need to make my usual changes. Found online on the http://www.recipezaar.com/ site, here is the ingredient list for their "To Die for Crescent Rolls".
1 package yeast
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup Crisco
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour
The Crisco and salt were put in my biggest glass measuring cup. One cup of boiling water was added and stirred in until completely dissolved. Then, the mixture simply sits until it has cooled to lukewarm. Meanwhile, the yeast is dissolved in three tablespoons of warm water in a separate bowl. Yet another bowl was utilized (I know, I know, I prefer a one-bowl mixing method, but these crescents are so very good, it really is worth taking the time to wash those few extra bowls!) to beat the eggs with the sugar. Two cups of the flour were stirred in, then the remaining flour added and mixed in.I had to add about one cup of extra flour in order to get the dough to a kneadable consistency, but I had used more than the three tablespoons of water called for in the recipe in order to dissolve my yeast - no doubt because I purchase my yeast in a one-pound block rather than little packets so I used one tablespoon of bulk yeast hoping it was equivalent to a package. The recipe only calls for light kneading so that's what I did. Easy, peasy!! Then, the dough is put in the refrigerator overnight for baking the next day. I divided my dough into two fairly equal portions and rolled each out like pizza crust - on my pizza peel!My pizza cutter was perfect for cutting the dough into wedges.Butter for added flavor was softened and brushed over the crescent wedges before rolling.
The dough wedges, once rolled into crescents and shaped slightly, need to be set in a warm place on a baking sheet to double in size. (I know, I know, my baking sheet is looking so very, very sad and really should be replaced with one of those fancy new ones that are flexible - I think a bright red one would do me just fine, thank you oh so very much!!)
After about an hour, they were ready for baking in my oven, preheated at 375 degree Fahrenheit.
These crescents, like my pitas, bake rather fast. The recipe said to bake them from 8 to 10 minutes. These were puffed, beautifully browned and lovely in nine minutes. Perfect!
The steam puffs out of them when pulled open just after they are removed from the oven. Their aroma is grand - yeasty, sweet and buttery!
With blue skies and the promise of rain looming over us for the weekend, we headed off to Taylor Dock for a late afternoon walk, returning home to build giant ham, Swiss cheese and sundried tomato sandwiches around these fresh crescents. Absolutely delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!