Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Seed Catalogs

It is so exciting to be a part of the new Cordata Community Gardens project this year! Last week as it was snowing, I was online, filling out dozens of ASP forms requesting "free" seed catalogs. After barely one week, the colorful seed catalogs are already beginning to stuff my mail box each day now!
I'm attracted to these catalogs. Some are glossy, others more colorful. One of the covers looks like a page from inside their catalog - designed to lure me deep into their booklet I am sure. I like them all! I carefully study their photos and read paragraph after paragraph of their descriptions.
They are like mini textbooks to me, providing valuable information - like how many days to propagation and harvest, how large I can hope my plants might grow, what pests could attack them, what type of soil and nutrients the plants will require, and so much more. All their photos are beautiful to my eyes. Did I already mention that? I stack the catalogs up, rearrange them, pick one up, put it down, then pick up another and read. My education begins, continues!
News received in my emails today updated me on the status of the road through the field to our new garden - it is just about finished. The foundation for our "shed" has been planned, and a contractor and team of volunteers are available to install our ten-foot high keep-the-deer-out fence. I've been reading up from my list of Google results for "lasagna layer gardening", our last research and reading assignment, and now have been challenged to research and read about square-foot gardening. I enjoy the learning process for these efficient, organic gardening methods.
~~~~~
Tomorrow after attending our next fund raising committee meeting at the Co-Op, I plan on driving by our community garden property for a look-see. My favorite neighbor will have a garden spot next to mine. It will be fun to have a gardening buddy. Several friends have offered to grab their shovels and rakes, push up their sleeves and help out - all I need to say, "come on by". This upcoming gardening season promises to be a lot of fun and my mouth already waters for the crunch of fresh baby carrots and the flavor of tender sweet salad greens - from dirt that I played in and seeds that I planted!
~~~~~
Meanwhile, in today's calm before our next predicted weekend snow storm, it was a great afternoon to walk along Taylor Dock. The marine air was cold, I was very glad that I wore my double fleece gloves. We practically had the entire dock to ourselves! After, a relaxing stop at the Chrysalis, then we were off to TacoTime - thank you very much!
More pictures from today's walk.
~~~~~

~~~~~
CORDATA COMMUNITY GARDENS
All Volunteer
"We're building community spirit
by learning and working together
to produce quality organic food"
~~~~~
Information from the American Community Garden Association about our new Cordata Community Garden:
~~~~~
Cordata Community Gardens

Contact Information

  • Dee or Ben Andrews [email]

Location

  • North end of Cordata Parkway, Bellingham, WA 98226

Garden Info

  • Garden Type: Neighborhood Garden
  • Setting: Suburban
  • Host Org: Guide Meridian/Cordata Neighborhood Association
  • Handicap Accessible: yes
  • Size: 14,500
  • Number of Plots: 50
  • Avg Plot Size: 0
  • Year Founded: 2008
  • Languages: English (primary) Translator service on call for all major languages
  • Structures: tool shed, pergola, portable restroom
  • Amenities: surrounding flower beds, water, electric power

Association Memberships

Events Calendar

  • Grand Opening: (June 6, 2009)
  • Public invited to visit our garden site, meet Master Gardeners, learn more about our programs and reserve a garden plot, while enjoying hot dogs and soft drinks.
  • Start Date: May 1, 2009
  • End Date: May 2, 2009
  • Start Time: 10:00 AM
  • End Time: 5:00 PM
  • Organized by: Cordata Community Gardens
  • Web site: coming soon
  • Address: North end - Cordata Parkway, Bellingham, WA 98226
    [email us]
  • Phone: 360 738-8787

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!