- Respond to reports of stranded, distressed or deceased marine mammals.
- Assess the condition of stranded marine mammals and determine how best to help them.
- Prevent human contact and interference with stranded marine mammals.
- In some cases, careful and safe removal of deceased marine mammals.
- Determine why marine mammals died, observing necropsies when necessary.
- Determine if stranded or deceased marine mammals pose a biological threat to humans or other marine life.
- Educate the public about local marine mammals and how best to cohabitate with them.
Marine mammals are protected by Federal law and it is illegal for unauthorized people to disturb, handle or feed them. It is illegal to collect or possess parts of marine mammals from dead strandings without authorization. For questions or to report a stranded marine mammal, please contact the Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network at 360-966-8845, or call 800-853-1964. To report harrassment or a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act, call the NOAA Office for Law Enforcement at 800-853-1964.